What is a Trademark?
A trademark (or mark) is any logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word, slogan, or derivative used by an organization, company or institution to identify its goods/services and distinguish them from other entities or competitors.
Any reference to the University or trademarks adopted hereafter and used or approved for use by Mississippi State University shall be subject to the policies and procedures of the Office of General Counsel. Additionally, any variations of the University marks which would cause consumers to erroneously believe that the product originated from or was sponsored or authorized by the University shall also be covered by the trademark licensing program policies and procedures.

Does the University manage the licensing program or do you use an agent?
As of January 1, 2006, MSU contracted with an outside agency to assist with the management of the licensing program. All inquiries about becoming licensed need to be directed to Affinity Licensing via their website – https://affinitylicensing.com/licensing.

Who Needs a License?
Licenses/approval must be obtained for the use of any MSU trademark, image, or photograph used on any packaging (including hangtags, stickers), signage, banner, or product sold to the general public or to campus departments and organizations. In addition, promotional licenses must be obtained by companies or organizations wanting to associate with the University through any use of its trademarks and/or images.

Mississippi State University reserves the right to prohibit the use of its trademarks with certain issues and products, such as alcohol, tobacco, candidates for public office, those products that infringe upon another entity's trademarks, or would be considered in poor taste by the general public. The University will not license products that do not meet minimum quality standards, are not in good taste, or items considered dangerous or high risk.

What are your official colors?
The official colors for licensed products are PMS 505 (maroon), PMS 428 (grey) and white. MSState maroon should be used for all printed publications such as brochures, letterhead, business cards, etc. The accepted maroon for the Web is RGB 102:0:0 or hex #660000.

What is your mascot?

How Do You Know If It Is Licensed?
Look for the label! The Officially Licensed Products label. Product that has been approved and licensed by Mississippi State University will bear one of these labels.

CLP Label

To ensure that you are purchasing product that is authentically MSU and supports the University's programs, look for this label before you buy. If the product does not bear this logo, you can assume that the product is not officially licensed by Mississippi State University.

How do I report an infringement?
If you believe that you have seen products or services that appear to not be licensed by Mississippi State University, please send the details via email licensing@legal.msstate.edu.

Do you provide photos of the live bulldog, the cheerleader mascot, or stadiums?
No. Photos may be requested from Office of Public Affairs 662.325.3442.

Are vendors allowed to sell on campus on football game days? 
No.  The Athletic Department has exclusive right on game days with the exception of the University Bookstore.  The Athletic Department contracts with one vendor to sell game novelties inside and outside the stadium.

Can vendors sell in the city of Starkville and the area surrounding the University?
This question is referred to the Starkville City Clerk at 662-323-4813.